View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #191
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
A length of hay-band looped over the roo-bar is always handy, but anything fine enough to be called a spool is for fiddly stuff back in the house.
That must be a regional thing, because around here farmers aren't near their vehicles as much as in your case. My uncle only hauls out the tractors or four wheelers when grabbing food or plowing the fields, as everything he needs is within easy walking distance most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I love the idea of mutitools, own several, yet still carry just a knife consistently. And 440C steel is fine for my everyday do-everything blade.
Actually, I've begun carrying a multitool in place of a knife. My multitool has a good knife on it, plus it has the 20 other things on it I need periodically as well, and in a survival situation, they're a ton better to have than just a knife alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frquixote View Post
I think most people would find preparing for TEOTWAWKI to be just overwhelming ...
Well, it depends on how you view that change. For some, going back to basics is worse than death. For others it's an adventure. In fact, I know a few people who'd jump at the chance to live like our ancestors. Of course, then you've got people like the Amish who already live like that and deal incredibly well with disasters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Well kind of depends how it happens but in running through a few possibilities in my head I would guess that the cities would have the lowest survival rates. Great target for war/invasion, great place to spread super-flu, and etc.
I fully agree. On top of that, urban and rural survival are two whole different animals and need to be handled in uniquely different ways. Really, a fully rounded survivalist (or just an average joe) needs to know both as they can find themselves in either environment when disaster strikes. But in the end, a knife or multi-tool is ubiquitously useful in both locations. Of course, a gun doesn't hurt either, but if you can't carry that, at least have a knife.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote