View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Quote:
Originally Posted by luite View Post
Hi fekhner, good to see that you like my plugin. Unfortunately I can't use it anymore, since my own DR1000S is broken. I will however update it if the plugin interfaces change.

I bought an iPad to replace the broken DR1000, and I have to agree with your observations. The screen is less readable in many situations, most applications are closed source, and not free (as in beer). While I don't mind paying a few euros for a good application (I bought some), I hate not being able to improve them. Most PDF viewers use Apples PDF renderer, which has some severe limitations (see below), and it's not possible to change this without the source code.

Anyway, I've been working on a DJVU to PDF conversion program that tries to retain the good compression of the DJVU file, without much quality loss. It also converts the text and table of contents (if present).

I hope other djvu users will find this useful
In fact I read that you do not any longer have a DR1000s and was worried, great that you still follow what is going on!

I also believe that there is a real need for a good conversion tool, for instance most of the old mathematics and physics books are in djvu. On the Dr1000 at least, there seems to be no need for conversion as I find the result produced by the djvu plugin extremely readable, in fact better than what I expected.

I wanted to play with the stanza djvu viewer on the ipad, but never got my hands on it. How does it fare?
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote