View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Short answer no. I do not think the daughter understands what an ipod is and wants one because its trendy, in my opinion one of the worse reasons to buy one. The ipod is a music player, lets get this right it is not an mp3 player s it does not play mp3 files. Like other apple products its proprietary, can take files from only one vendor (surprise you are forced to get all your music from you guessed it apple corp). AS a general rule apples cost a lot more then their mp3 competitors. The ipod is not for book reading and its not for games.

I would recommend a laptop and an electronic book reader. The laptop will be great for the games and plus it will have a physical keyboard for emailing and twitter, however it will have one problem - its too big for book reading, that's where the book reader will come in handy. The laptop will have great battery life so it can go back and forth to school with her, however will be too heavy for that. The book reader will take care of the book reading. A tablet is nice however it does not have a physical keyboard that will make it hard for emailing and IM (Instant Messaging) which are popular with kids her age and will spare the phone for mom. For a laptop I would recommend a Toshiba or an Acer (I have one of each and they are doing great).

For an electronic book reader she needs to be a bit more picky about what she wants: how about a book light (Kindle Paperwhite or a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight)? Is price a big concern (Basic Kindle is $69). Is tech support from someone standing in front of you a concern (B&N has physical stores across the US, just try to find an amazon store in your neighborhood, Amazon has great tech support but its done via the internet only)? How about periodic sales (Kobo Books)?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote