View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #14
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
I don't think there is such a thing as a 'good deus ex machina'. If it's good then it's not a deus ex machina because it would be something that stems from the story.

I think Star Wars is a good example. It's not a deus ex machina when Han Solo comes to Luke's aid - it's a pivotal character moment for Han and the culmination of the teamwork theme throughout the movie. So while it is a sudden and unexpected event, I wouldn't consider it deus ex machina because it stems from the characters and plot.

Like someone said before, if Superman appeared and saved the day, that would be deus ex machina, but because Han is a great pilot and he and Chewbacca realised that friendship and the 'greater good' are more important than paying off his debt to Jabba, they come to the rescue.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote