View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #51
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I agree with your last sentence. But I kind of disagree, that Wikipedia is "never" a credible source. Much more often, than not, the information is accurate.
The context of the discussion is using Wikipedia to cite for information (as in "Works Cited" or "Bibliography" page). I'm not talk about it as a source that shouldn't be used to build up ideas about a topic. Those two are vastly different things. And I've mentioned the latter as a good way to use Wikipedia.

Quote:
As to research, at least for what I do, digital is much, much better, than dealing with paper volumes. One can search through a large amount of information much faster, can go back and forth among a great number of sources with ease, etc.. But I know that some disagree, and that's fine, for them.
Let's also not make the logical leap from Wikipedia to thinking that I'm talking about all digital sources, if that is the intention ;-)

Quote:
And, the open-source text-books idea sounds good to me. It also does not preclude having editor(s), so I don't see what the problem is.
I never made a comment about open-source textbook as being good or bad. There are a lot of open-source journals if by open-source people mean free. The English Server has long hosted many free open-source journals. Check it out. I used to be part of the department that produced The English Server.

I don't know if all those comments were directed to me, but they seem to be given how you started your post. But I could be wrong.

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 05-09-2009 at 03:21 PM.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote