View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Finally, someone mentioned Amazon owning the DRM on the books they sell. That is incorrect. (I also got clarification about that today.) The DRM is on the supplied files from the publisher, and it's there because Mobipocket requires it. What I am told is that Amazon draws most of their inventory from Mobipocket, which they own. So Amazon doesn't apply the DRM, and they might not directly require it, but it is required by the gatekeeper, Mobipocket. I can't swear this applies to all publishers, but that's what ereads is facing, and that's why ereads titles on Amazon have DRM.
Funny you should mention that, as my weekly email from Fictionwise just came in, and I noticed some ereads books (e.g., Harlan Ellison) offered in multiformat (i.e., non-DRM) format; including Mobi. Looking further, I see an awful lot of e-reads books offered there without DRM. So there is obviously more to the story?

Last edited by bwaldron; 02-10-2009 at 11:11 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote