Thread: PRS-600 well...damn.
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Zerhackermann
Enthusiast
Zerhackermann began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
well...damn.

I just got my PRS-600 before xmas. Never had an e-reader before. Totally digging it.

Then last night, I noticed a spec obscuring part of a letter. I get out my microfiber cloth and give it a wipe down as I periodically need to do. Still there. So I damp it a little and wipe it good. nope.

Then I look closely and see that the bit of schmutz is between the screens. dammit. and it sits in the upper left quadrant of the "more" button on the home screen. and it is fairly sizable. like a millimeter or two in diameter. and its white like a skin flake or something else disgusting. cant shake it loose or tap it free.

So I call up Sony.

After much wheedling and such the upshot is:

1) "well at least it is still in warranty so we wont charge you" I should hope not for what is clearly a defect. "it will take about a week including shipping and it will be like new" dude, it is less than 30 days old. It is already like new with the exception of this defect.

2) "you could return it to target and get a new one"

Now I am pretty forgiving of such situations...but this is Sony opening the door for me to go to a competitor. If I take it back and they dont have a replacement and I get refunded, why should I risk another Sony when I could have a Kindle or some other device in my hands in 24 hours?

What would have pleased me to no end and made me a total fanboy would have been if they offered to send me a new unit (hell even a refurb) and I just drop the dirty one in the box and send it back. That would have been awesome.

Less awesome would have been to give me warranty acceptable cleaning instructions.

Most likely what I will do is see if I can get a swap at the store. if not, I'll probably just take it apart and clean it out when the warranty expires.

at any rate, I certainly am not thrilled. Not angry or eve indignant. Just a bit disappointed. And as folks ask me about the device, that wart will be pointed out along with all the things I like about it.
Zerhackermann is offline   Reply With Quote