View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
That is a very good point. The ereaders I have had did not have this option. However, I just took a look at the PRS-350 User's Guide on the US Sony site. There is an explanation on Page 52 about how to "Adjust View" under the Options Menu which allows the ability to custom adjust brightness and contrast. It is about time Sony finally added this feature! For the PRS-500 I remember reading (probably on this forum) how some users would remove the cover and adjust a knob on the hardware inside to change contrast. I did a quick search on "contrast" in the Amazon Kindle 3 User Guide. It does have the ability to change levels of contrast, but it was specifically mentioned with respect to viewing PDF files so I'm not sure if it applies to all types of files.
I think you are correct about the contrast adjustment for the K3 being only for PDFs. I tried it out and posted some images in the Kindle threads a couple weeks ago showing the five contrast settings. I think Amazon did that to make scanned PDFs more readable.

I'm might try changing the 350s contrast settings, but in my case I think it is the deep recess of the screen in relation with the bevel. I don't have the problem with my K3 which has nearly no recess. I read a while last night with both starting with the 350 and the bevel kept coming into focus and the text kept going out of focus. I think it will just take time to train my brain to focus only on the text! When I switched to the K3 the problem immediately went away. BTW, both the 350 and the K3 screens a nearly identical as far as contrast.