View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #426
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Charis SIL has smallcaps built in. But you can separate out the smallcaps (to create a smallcaps version of the fonts) as most apps/programs don't know how to handle this. I've made the separate smallcaps fonts.

When I modify an ePub and fix the smallcaps to be real smallcaps and not simulated, I use "font-family: smallcaps" to give the name of smallcaps the the font(s). I also use a backup of sans-serif in case I ever was to load this ePub into Bluefire. I would not get the smallcaps, but I would see where they are supposed to be when I see the sans-serif font.

On my Sony Reader, I can specify fonts to be used that are not in the ePub, but sitting in a directory on the Reader. That is why I use a backup of sans-serif just in case.

So if say I was to pick Charis SIL as the serif font, there could be a decided upon style to then be used to show the smallcaps. So say you decided to use smallcaps to represent smallcaps, then you'd show smallcaps whenever the code says to use "font-family: smallcaps". Yes, I know that people would have to modify the epUb for this, but given that the ePub would already be DRM free and Sigil is very easy to use, it's a win-win.