View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #151
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The difference is in where the series information is stored and the firmware version.

Up until firmware 2.2.1, the only way to have series information was to add it to the title via a plugboard. Doing that meant the series was displayed and sorting by title on the device put all the books in a series together.

From FW 2.2.1, the firmware supports series information. This is displayed on a separate line in the library lists. But, the firmware can't get this from the books. Series info is not part of the standard metadata for an epub. So, an option was added to the driver to write the series info into the database on the device. The sorting in FW 2.2.1, 2.3.1 and 2.3.2 treated the series info as part of the title in much the same way as when using the plugboard. This meant the plugboard was not really needed.

In FW 2.4.0, there was another change. This time the series info was dropped from the title when sorting. The series info is still displayed, but there is no way to sort the books in the library so that all books in a series are grouped together and in order. That means that if the plugboard comes in handy again to get the sorting working.

All that means is that you have options. You can use the "Set series information" option or the plugboard. Or both. How useful they are depends on the firmware version and how you want your books displayed on the device.
Are those firmware numbers for the Touch? My mini is on 2.1.5 and swears that there's no updates available.

While I'm on it, can you somehow re-tag the books in Calibre that are already on your Kobo? I have a bunch of manga that should be in the _Manga folder, but they arn't. This is well over 100 books, so I'd love a faster way to punt them into the correct folder.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote