View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #31
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
The borrowing limits really bother me. I use the library ebooks to try out authors I haven't read before to see if I'll like them. I often return the ebook to the library after one chapter when I don't enjoy the writing. If borrowing limits are implemented I would feel guilty doing this because people who really want to read the book would not be able to depending on how many checkouts remain.
That's my concern also. I wind up reading only about half the books I check out. A better way to impose limits would be # of days checked out, not # of checkouts.

But the entire library lending model that Overdrive offers is suspect: why the artificially limited selection and availability of titles? Why not instead offer the entire catalog of ebook titles, and limit access to a given library's ebook budget on the basis of ebook-checkout-days, and let the library set policy to ensure equitable access to ebooks?

I would note that the Overdrive app for iOS (and probably Android) do not allow you to return an item early, even where the licensing permits it. That says a lot about Overdrive's priorities: they serve publishers first of all, not the needs of libraries and their patrons.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote