View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
To me it is a concern with new technology where everyone is trying to make every device multi purpose.
Exactly. Most things follow the pattern of sine waves though - peaking in one direction and then swinging back down in the other direction for a while, so perhaps we'll see a return to dedicated one purpose devices. I think there could be a market for TV recorders that just had two buttons - one for Record and one for Play, instead of the current remotes that look like they're designed for controlling NASA Mars probes, and nobody ever know what the hell all the buttons do, or how to get back to the settings you actually need after all the family has tried pressing them all...

Quote:
The last three mobile phones I have bought I have wondered into a shop and taken a good look at them. Now I want a phone, to sms and call, nothing else. Sales people trying to say "oh they play mp3s, has a camera, video calling, or if you go spend a fortune more you can get one with a touch screen and plays movies etc". Why can't I buy a standard non-fancy mobile phone?
Too true, I have the same minimum needs. I recently replaced my 12 year old phone , for one which has a decent screen and keyboard for texting. I told the sales guy that I didn't expect better reception than my old phone, but I did need one that was at least as good. He shrugged and said that the simple old phones often had bigger and better aerials, because there was more room in the case, whereas modern phones are packed with multiple functions. So he couldn't guarantee anything.

Fortunately, the Nokia I bought from him works really well. But my asking was prompted by discovering that my wife's iPhone drops out inside the local shopping center when my old clunker just keeps going (fortunately we were prepared for this as even the salesman had warned us that the iPhone's reception isn't that great). So it's another case of swings and roundabouts, although you do pretty much have to buy the whole circus to get a ride now.

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote