View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I don't think ebook popularity will affect traditional novel writing styles -- though it might well add a new dimension for fiction and non-ficton.

For instance there's a new wave of (usually teenaged) scribes in Japan who write free short episodic romances specifically for mobile phones. Last year, the county's top ten best-sellers included six of these that had been picked up and published in treebook form.

I'm guessing that the young readers who pushed these mini-books to the top slots would otherwise not have read fiction at all, so this brand new form of presentation (basically three-minutes-a-day reading) can only be a good thing. Here's hoping the easy and target-specific introduction to reading will encourage them to look further and become absorbed in more fulfilling literature in later years.

So that's maybe a sign that ereading will open up new fiction possiblities rather than stifle old ones. Non-fiction and text books are something else entirely. In these fields, I reckon authors and publishers will have to adapt themselves to electronic presentation, especially where graphics and tables are involved.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote