View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
That is correct, root is required. I could make a package that just replaces the stock reader app, but the installation process would be the same as rooting, so depending on why one avoids rooting it might not make a difference. Still, would this be of use?
Assuming I am not unique, my two reasons for avoiding rooting so far are:
  • Lack of previous experience in the 'app world'. I don't have a smart phone or a tablet so confidence in using a new environment is low.
  • Although I can see that it can be fun to push the boundaries with a new toy, I have not seen a 'killer' reading app which makes it worth the risk of stepping out of the comfort zone. Now if someone were to offer the Sony PRSPlus bells & whistles as an app, I'd root in a flash (no pun intended ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
Custom fonts is next on the agenda
Good luck! I don't know whether you already read one of the other threads, but if you manually add a statement (credit to snarkophilus)
Code:
@import url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/css/my.css);
to the top of the css file in an epub then the T1 will use everything in the int.mem user-accessible file [intmem:]/css/my.css (which can contain all the @font-faces and any other custom css) when displaying the epub. If you get the contents of your custom css file correct it won't interfere with the standard (or your fixed) select-a-font feature. The drawback is that, so far, the only way to edit each epub is manually. If this @import could be part of the Sony reader app generated css, this may be a way forward. Then all that is needed is another app on the T1 which will display a list of css files in directory [intmem:]/css and when one is selected copy it to /css/my.css -- instant custom font change. It does work, I've been using it. It's a bit like the way the PRSPlus custom firmware works on the earlier Sonys.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote