View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #85
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
In the last few months, I've seen none of the threads about this specific issue end up on such reach a consensus, except on the fact that saying "theft" when one is talking of "copyright infrigement" was an abuse of language that should be banished. I should know, I closely followed everyone of them, and participated in most.
As a matter of fact, it appears that even the forum's most in favor of "hard copyright" rules (you, HarryT and so on) have somewhat agreed to the point, since I've noticed most of you guys have stopped confusing the terms in your posts.

I wonder if we shouldn't open a thread on this topic, not to discuss minute details and contradict each other, but for interested members to develop their overall views on the subject and their reasons to have them (moral, philosophical, pragmatic and so on).
There is certainly agreement on this site that it is in the best interests of clarity that we try to be as specific as possible when we discuss "theft" versus "copyright infringement," however complicated by lack of social and international agreement on those terms.

However, I didn't expect to hear disagreement on the fact that we at MR have failed so far to come to an agreement on the essential nature of the e-book, and how that impacts its status as object/property, and our individual rights concerning them. (Or did I miss a memo?)

The only reason no one's stated a "consensus" is because the discussions have inevitably broken down without a resolution, only to be restarted elsewhere... but the fact that we continue to discuss it indicates the fact that we have not all come to an agreement on the issue, but we still feel the need to reach for one, for the good of all concerned. That's a consensus, whether implicitly stated or not.

Anyway... Feel free to discuss the subject further, that's what MR is here for.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote