View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #79
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
"Many hoaxes are fraudulent, although those not made for personal gain are not technically frauds. Defrauding people of money is presumably the most common type of fraud." - quote from wikipedia. If you defraud someone it is stealing in my book.

It is true that you still have you identity which is why it is like the copyright case. But legally it is called identity theft. Actually they don't commit fraud by claiming to be you. They commit a hoax. They commit fraud on a bank by using your name to extract money but then they didn't commit fraud against you since they did actually commit the hoax against you personally. However, it is a life ruining experience but no fraud was committed against you personally so I guess it shouldn't be a crime (in your view) since we haven't got a good name for it.

Dale
I never said fraud wasn't a crime; I merely said it wasn't theft.

Impersonating me to drain my bank account is unlikely. It is more likely that someone would commit forgery by falsifying my signature. This isn't really identity theft, even by your definition.

It is possible that this is stealing, but it does not concern me. It is a matter between the bank and the forger. Since I didn't withdraw this money, I will get my money returned.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote