View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #76
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There are lots of things that are fraud but the term Identify Theft is a particular kind of fraud. Fraud is theft by deception according to the law. If some one stole your identity what would you say happened to you? The identity hasn't really been stolen in the same sense that works you depend on for lively hood haven't been stolen. Maybe the fact that they emptied your bank account and destroyed your credit is merely a matter of infringing a bit on your copy right. Is that the way you would like to view it. Selling a work that someone else wrote is also fraud in that you didn't have permission but I think the idea of theft makes the severity of the crime more obvious.
I do not believe the "stole your identity" is well defined. I think the term is a fuzzy term that should not be used if you want to talk careful about things. Why not say "use your identity"? Some use of my identity is not illegal and I do not mind them. If you empty a bank account then it is the emptying of the bank account that is the problem.

I still think that people call copyright infringement for theft either because they do not know better or because they are using dishonest rhetorical language.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote