Thread: Classic IP Restriction
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Probably nothing to do with the border

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky10013 View Post
I've run into this blasted IP restriction which despite the couple months of research I've done, I haven't seen anything about. Out of 20-30 PD free books I've been messing around with, only 2 have worked.
I think the squirrel's up in this other tree, not the one everyone's barking at.

You're saying you're having trouble with PD e-books, by which I assume you mean Google Books. So here's the thing: a lot of Google Books aren't available in OCRed EPUB, only in raw-scan PDF. It seems (and I stress that, because it hasn't been really tested) that B&N erroneously offers the PDF-only e-books "for sale" (free). Unfortunately, B&N's servers are incapable of delivering PDFs, and will give you a bogus "Geographic constraint" error message when you try to download.

Since you live in an area where a Geographic Constraint error is plausible, you had no reason to suspect that it's bogus.

If this is indeed the case, then basically you can't get those e-books through B&N. Not because you're in Canada; nobody can get them through B&N because B&N can't deliver PDFs. You'll need to go straight to Google Books, download the PDFs, and sideload them onto your NOOK. And it's no offense (or is that offence up there?) to your being in Canada.

Bear in mind, however, that PDFs generally come out pretty sad on a small-screen e-reader. You might be better off seeing if you can find those titles at Feedbooks, Manybooks, BeBooks, Project Gutenberg, etc., where they proofread and clean up the scans. (By the way, BeBooks does theirs in PDF, but their PDFs are specifically designed for small-screen e-readers.) If you're willing to spend a couple of bucks, the "B&N Classics" series of cleaned-up PD e-books has an excellent reputation, too.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote