View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriman2002 View Post
NiLuJe -
I am using the hack with Droid font set (posted on your blog), and it does display Cyrillic if I use a PDF source and convert it to MOBI. So, the font hack definitely works.
However, if I download a TXT file from Moshkov's e-library, for example, and open it in Word for cleanup, that's where trouble begins. Word asks me how I want to convert it. If I click on "UTF-8", the text is garbled. If I click on "Unicode", the text is in normal Cyrillic. However, if that normal Cyrillic (saved as RTF) is then run though Calibre and converted to MOBI, the result is garbled. Total bafflement!
Calibre (0.7.1 OS X) seems to have some problems with Unicode encodings. The text viewer only works properly when the file has a BOM indicator to identify the encoding used (well, lots of apps have this requirement). And conversion to MOBI works right only if the source file is UTF-8, not UTF-16. But the UTF-8 output from Word should be simpatico: it does include the BOM (at least my version does: Word 2003 for Windows).

You are seeing garbled text with UTF-8. Using which application?

Of course, I am assuming calibre for Windows will exhibit the same behavior I'm seeing in OS X, but maybe not. Guess I'll install the Windows version to check.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-01-2010 at 04:06 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote