View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
Sorry to seem grumpy DG. I've been spending too much time over at the Amazon Forum which tends to drive me nuts. You are, of course, correct and choklatice please accept my apology if I was too abrupt.

The subject of international Kindleing is poorly understood and questions about it abound. I hope Amazon can get the Kindle on the international market soon so everyone can enjoy Kindleing. Other readers can be used but apparently the content is more restricted that Amazon's large

As an aside, I am amazed that our service people abroad, even if they have a US credit card account on Amazon, apparently cannot get content sent to them via the internet or a Kindle shipped to them via an FPO/APO address. I wonder if the embassy State Department folks have this problem?
Oh, I understand completely your frustration with the amazon kindle discussion forums. wah wah wah.
As far as the service people abroad wanting kindles, this question was answered very well and in detail by a nice lady under the "CTmom" handle.....I"m pasting it here, made sense to me.........
----------------
"Lesley9 wrote:
Lots of items must get delivered to individual soldiers from APO addresses. Some of these products must get damaged/lost in shipment. How does the military handle these since it would be under their supervision/control? Does the end user soldier just have to "eat" the cost of the damaged/lost products?
---------------

The easiest way to handle it is to ship it to your own address & then ship it yourself, insured via US Mail & if anything is damaged you can personally file a claim with the Postal Service.

It's not up to the military to deal with lost/damaged mail. They have enough to deal with. Try to imagine getting mail out to depoloyed ships for example. They move. You get the mail there however you can. Sometimes it goes it with whomever is travelling to the ship/unit- in someone's seabag. That means that boxes might have to stay behind & wait until the ship pulls into a scheduled port call- it could be months before something arrives- if it's perishable it will be spoiled right? No company wants to take responsibility for that. If it goes in a seabag it could be crushed. If it travels the world it could get crushed- these companies have no way of knowing WHERE an APO/FPO will actually end up sending something, so they choose not to send it at all. When you're placing orders over the holidays this year take a minute to notice how many companies say, "will not ship to APO/FPO addresses"- it's very common. They simply cannot guarantee their product so they choose not to ship at all. It's sad but true.

And the soldiers/sailors/service members do not have time to wrestle with retailers about damaged goods either. They don't have endless hours to spend on the phone or writing letters to sort out the mess. When my husband is deployed his port time is not going to be spent dealing with a broken shipment. He's just as likely to ignore it & wait until he gets home (which will be too late) or just give me the information to see if I can sort it out. And of course, if he never gets something, it may be months before we realize it."
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote