View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Asian series by James Clavell starting with Shogun is on my TBR list.
I've read Shogun and liked it, although I read a long time ago, so I don't remember much details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I'm wanting to read some big historical sagas. I have read Ken Follett, Michener, Rutherfurd, Simons, Outlander, Poldark, McCullough, Penman, Gone With The Wind, Donati.
Of those, I've read and liked Follett and McCullough, read and have very mixed feelings about Gone With the Wind, and liked the first Outlander book well enough to finish it, but abandoned the second one (to give you an idea of how similar/different my taste is to yours).

Some suggestions:
  • Jane Austen. Strictly speaking those are contemporary novels, not historicals, but they were contemporary two hundred years ago English upper class.
  • Pauline Gedge's books on ancient Egypt
  • Alex Haley: "Roots" (a family saga of enslaved people in the US)
  • Barbara Hambly: "A Free Man of Color" (crime series in New Orleans in the 1830s)
  • Courtney Milan has several series of historical romances. The Brothers Sinister series, starting with "A Governess Affair" takes place in England in the 1830s onwards (a smidgen of alternative history in some of the later books, where some scientific discoveries are made by a protagonist instead of whoever made them in our history). The Worth Saga will go all over the world, with the prequel "The Pursuit of..." in a rebellious British colony in 1781, and most of the books taking place a generation later.
  • K.J.Charles has several series of historical romance. I'm hard pressed to pick my favourite, but maaaybe the duology "Proper English" / "Think of England" (early 1900s)

Since you mentioned Outlander you might be OK with some supernatural elements in your history?
  • Mary Robinette Kowal: Glamourist histories, described as Jane Austen with magic. Starts with "Shades of Milk and Honey".
  • K.J.Charles also has some series with magic, I like the the Magpie Lord series best.
  • Justina Ireland, starting with "Dread Nation". US after the Civil War, with zombies.
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote