View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 06:31 AM   #5
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
You probably know this site http://www.historicalnovels.info/ . Here are lots of historical novels organised after period and geographical location.
Excellent link. This is my favorite genre of books. Don't limit yourself to 'epic' books, or you'll miss out on a lot of good historical fiction.

in the epic category, read The Physician by Noah Gordon, and the sequel Shamam. You've read Follet, but I'll just mention he has a prequel to the kingsbridge series coming out this fall. The trilogy by Sebag Montefiore passes for epic Shashenka, Red Sky at Noon and One night in Winter. Takes place in revolutionary Russia through WWII. I've enjoyed Jean Auel's Books in the prehistoric era, I still have 3 to go. In the biblical era, I like Quo Vadis, The Robe, Geraldine Brooks' The Golden Chord, and Decker's AD 30 and AD 33, although not really epic. I haven't tackled them yet, but Bernard Cromwell's books on Medieval England are on my list. When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman was good, there are others I haven't delved into yet.

In the non-epic category, The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiesman (any of her books really, this one was the best), All the Light We cannot See by Doerr, The Nightingale by Hannah, Beneath the Scarlet Sky by Sullivan, The Tattoois of Auschwitz by Morris and the sequel Cilka's Journey, Armageddon and Mila 18 by Uris, Year of Wonders by Brooks. A lot of my historical fiction centers around WWII and Medieval periods.

The provided website is great, I just sifted through it, wonderful selection of books to choose from.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote