View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I signed up for a copy of Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist. It was free and I wanted to check out what they are doing.

So far there has only been one installment but frankly, I like it better than trying to dig into one of those interminable 19th Century novels. Breaking it up like that just works.

I got bored with the way Dickens started--very different than a modern book, he really took his time with background--but I looked at the bottom and I'd only gone about 4% into the book so I kept on and it straightened out.

Of course, Oliver Twist was written for this format and Dickens knew how to use it to spin out his tale. The Kindle delivery system that automatically sends me the next installment each week is a good fit. It hides the rest of the book and really does leave you something to look forward to. I'm interested to see if the idea holds up for Dickens and whether modern writers can figure out how to use it.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote