View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #242
BensonBear
Enthusiast
BensonBear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliali47 View Post
I tried the Calibre built in df to converter and was pleasantly surprised. A little rough around the edges but more than usable. A text only book of about 300 pages - margins can't be adjusted but text and spacing can. Worth a try.
Yes, I believe the correct way to get "reflowing" pdf, if that is what is desired, is to use other programs to convert pdf to the naturally reflowing epub format. There is no reason to believe Kobo will ever do this better than any of the other available programs.

However, I have not found these programs to do a very good job. They do not provide enough options to let the user detect and strip out headers and footers and notes, join the resulting text cleanly, and then reinsert headers/footers/line numbers and notes in a way that doesn't disturb the main text. How much of this were you able to accomplish?

I haven't looked into this yet much. But still, what Kobo themselves need to do is to provide native pdf reading without panning required, using maximal zoom in landscape mode. This is just so obvious, and also so easy to do.

Quote:
On organising: if I had a collection of 500+ books on my KT then it would be handy to be able to group them into subjects like history, music etc. I can't always remember which books I have loaded on it but the option to see the files as they are named and in the way that I chose to sort them on the device would have been appreciated. The shelves are more elegant sounding but if open ended solutions are so time consuming, at least implement one that is functional until you can also find a way to satisfy users who like high level metaphors on their KT.
Yes, perhaps, but I am not a fan of folders (or even "higher level" but procrustean metaphors like shelves). A more general tag-like system should have been used, otherwise you cannot put an item in more than one place (books on history of music for example).

Also, a "scholar", I think, really needs not a classification of texts, but an structured organization of text excerpts based on their relations to one another. So it is really the annotations that really need to be organized, more than the books themselves. Hopefully at some point we could talk more about the details of such a system, a simple one that would still be quite useful.
BensonBear is offline   Reply With Quote