View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, obv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Ouch thats a Disappointment, especially as the main WH Smith site accepts them. In fact I used a Maestro card to buy a Cybook from them.

Still, have you tried emailing or phoning them to ask them why they don't accept Debit cards ? if enough people write in, they may consider adding support.
Well, that was the other reason I posted this here - I haven't emailed them yet, but fully intend to. I hoped by posting the information that other Mobileread users would email them, too.

Tompe - bbusybookworm is right. Those Mastercard/Visa variants (e.g. Visa Electron - commonly used by Lloyds TSB) that debit your bank account do exist in the UK, but they are generally not accepted in place of a credit card. The UK retail attitude seems to be either to accept both credit and debit cards, or accept only credit cards. There's no middle ground to speak of.

All that said, perhaps a UK user with a Visa Electron card (or similar) could try the Smiths website and see how they get on? That way, at least some people with debit cards may be able to use it.

It looks like I'm going to have to use Paypal and get the books from Books on Board, but that's incredibly frustrating for 2 reasons - 2 of the 3 books I want are more expensive at Books on Board, and one of them isn't stocked by them. Disappointing.
Croker is offline   Reply With Quote