View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Possibly some of the kids may belong to households where there's a computer, but no reliable internet access (probably not, though, if you're in a high-tech area). However, in that case, PDF Wiki articles might be useful for offline reading.
Collected articles might be useful. But the school might prefer to avoid them, because too many kids already think Wikipedia is a reliable info source, and they might want to discourage that.

Quote:
The Creative Commons Wiki has a listing of CC-licensed books. It's as they say, quite incomplete, but it gives you something to start with, and they've got a blog keeping up with professionally published people now releasing selected works as CC.
Thank you! That's *wonderful*, and exactly the kind of starting point I was looking for.

Quote:
Peter Watts ... tends to be fairly sharp and cynical in his writing, and thus might possibly be considered age-inappropriate for US teenagers in much the same way that the likewise CC-licensed Cooking With Booze would be.
I'll be contacting the school for what kinds of content guidelines/warnings they want to put into place about fiction. On the one hand, it's all freely available online. On the other, we probably can put together several hundred (couple thousand?) fiction books without triggering irate parents and without veering into bizarre censorship.

Quote:
I'd also consider taking advantage of the US' slightly weird public domain rules, and go looking on Project Gutenberg or the Internet Archive for that copyright-not-renewed pre-1963 stuff and see if there's anything that looks like it might be interesting. It'll at least be a little more modern than the regular Life+70 selection.
I'll be scouring Gutenberg for texts of many types. (And we do not have weird public domain rules! It's all very sensible... anything published here before 1923 is in the public domain, and published between 1923 and 1963 is in the public domain if it wasn't renewed, and anything before 1975 without a proper copyright notice is also in the public domain unless it was registered within five years of... ahm, okay, we'll go with "weird.")

Quote:
And speaking of copyright and the public domain, there's probably no better way for the kids to learn about how various corporate interests are encroaching upon it and eroding fair use than via the CC-licensed comic book produced by Duke University's Center for the Study of the Public Domain, free to download and distribute in PDF, or remix in jpg or png to your heart's content.
I love the Duke Univ comic. And I want to watch for the OTW's Fair Use Curriculum project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Don't forget Baen's Free Library and the The Fifth Imperium's collection of *legal* Baen CDs.
I plan on contacting Baen, when I get a better idea of what I'm doing, to ask about more specific permissions. (No question, the science fiction section of the ebook library will be *terrific.*)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote