View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #34
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Mr. Aiken has a very valid point. In many cases, even the publisher does not have the subsidiary rights to release audio versions.

As for the question about how stupid can publishers and authors be regarding this, the real question is how arrogant can Amazon be? Authors and publishers negotiate specific rights -- be they electronic, print, audio, geographical, whatever. The author owns the rights to all forms of his/her work until the author gives some of them up as a result of contract. Absent specific contractual rights, Amazon is not entitled to distribute audio versions of content created by someone else.

I've never understood why some people think they have an absolute right to whatever they want whenever they want it and however they want it.
I agree with your statement about rights. And I'm not qualified to offer a legal opinion. But I have a hard time seeing audio rights encompassing a machine reading a text file aloud in a synthesized voice. To me, audio rights means the right to create or license an audio performance for recording and replay.

I suppose this is another one that will be argued or perhaps negotiated at length.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote