View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by derei View Post
Now I added pdftohtml.exe to exclusion list and the antivirus work had stopped. But the CPU usage has dropped too. It's obvious now that the av. was using it so extensively. Now I have only peaks now and then, not a consistent usage. Is that normal? Calibre works in "reprises" ?
I tried some other pdf files and those converted relatively fast (less than 1 minute), but I have two that seem to create problems.
I could provide one of them to the developers, but only as private submission and ONLY for development and programming purposes. It's a book that WAS available in digital format, for free, but now the online version has been retracted. Only printed version is to be found.

Thank you.

EDIT: - just noticed this:
- I cancelled the conversion job and I closed calibre, but pdftohtml.exe (actually 2 processes with this name) were still running until I closed them forcefully.
The progress shown for Calibre conversions is not linear, it works in phases so you will see progress sit at 1%, then it will jump to something like 22%, 47% is another place it has a big think.

I don't normally convert PDF's with calibre, I've found that I get more consistent results from the Mobicreator program, and its faster, it creates prc files that calibre converts faithfully to epub. To get a reasonable epub still requires editing, but its fairly predictable so I use some editor macro's.

But I just ran some calibre PDF's to EPUB conversions - they only ran for a few minutes each - only one of them appeared to start pdftotml - it gobbled up one of my four processors - MsMpEng never got above 2%.

This is just a hunch. When I first started using calibre I had some issues with conversions gobbling up my system - I've found that the following settings get the work done and calibre doesn't impact other things - I'm running windows 7 on a 6G I5 with a wd spinning disk drives.

Preferences->Behavior->Job Priority = Low
Preferences Miscellaneous-> see attachment

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	107209  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote