View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Rapefruit
Rapefruit has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Hanlin V3 (64MB)
Post Replace broken screen DIY

Hello everybody,

a few weeks ago, I dropped my V3 (only days after I sorta rediscovered it) and broke the screen. You know the symptoms from other reports in other forums but I still attached the pictures. Apparently the "glass" doesn't like torsion at all.

At first I thought about donating what was left to the OpenInkpot project but I checked their site and apparently all developers already own (a working) one. Now I did sent some money instead...

Anyways, I sent the picture to jinke, asking if they were selling replacement parts. They do (the screen is 90USD) and they even agreed to low cost shipping (no tracking number but excellent packaging and with two weeks not too slow either) AND managed to follow my instructions (not to include an invoice and mark the package as "gift"). Excellent service if you ask me. No further tax or customs fees added. With bank charges and everything, it was still approx. 100EUR.

Before I go into details about the steps, one important advice: The replacement part has a protective film that you have to remove before assembly. I didn't and I had to go through the whole procedure twice.
Unfortunately I did not take pictures during the whole procedure but I will try to be clear in my description and if you have any questions, I will try to answer them.

You need a pretty small screwdriver for the insides to do this.
  • Take out the battery and the SIM card (important!)
  • Remove the rubber plugs from the holes on the backside. (A needle worked good here.) At least with my model, under only three of them were actually screws (bottom left, bottom right, top right)
  • Unscrew everything. If the screen is broken because you dropped your V3, chances are one or more of the screws broke their supports and there is the possibility of a whole screw disappearing through its hole. This should be avoided especially during re-assembly (you'd have to take it all apart again). One of the screws is of a different kind than the rest. Make sure you know where everything came from.
  • Try to seperate the upper from the lower part. They are clipped together. When prying it apart, you could try to start with the USB/phones connectors or on a corner or on one of the long sides (there are three clips holding each side, so try in between).
  • The rubber cover of the connectors will come loose. You can put it aside together with the complete lower half. If you prefer, you can tape on the buttons from the inside so that it is easier to assemble the whole thing again without them falling out of place.
  • You will see the circuit board. It is held by surprisingly few screws. Losen them. You do not have to unscrew the small daugher board that holds the keys.
  • Maybe the cable coming from the screen on the left side is stuck to the board with tape. Mine was. You can remove that.
  • Open the connector to disconnect the screen cable. It is a quite delicate ZIF-connector. You can lift up the colored part pointing towards the cable.
  • Now you should be able to lift the circuit board up and to the bottom (as far as the connector to the keyboard will allow).
  • What you will find is a metal carrier for the screen. Mine was stuck to the backside of the screen by adhesive tape (although not very strongly).
  • Maybe you losened those screws before but if you haven't: The carrier is held with two screws on the right side. The left side is slid under small plasic noses.
  • Once unscrewed, you can remove the whole assembly. Take out the broken screen and replace with the new one.
  • Do no forget to remove the protective film!
  • Assemble in reverse order: Slide the carrier under the noses on the left side and fix with the screws on the right.
  • Before putting everything back together, now is a good time to remove beach sand from the last vacation and maybe some broken-off plastic.
  • Now you can fold back the circuit board and attach the screen to the board. The ZIF connector can be tricky but you will know when it is in. Fold down the small bracket to secure the cable.
  • You can now run a test: Hold the battery against the three terminals and press the power button. Everything should be OK now.
  • It is advisable to tape down the somewhat stubborn screen connector like it was originally.
  • Do not forget to include the rubber cover for the connectors when re-assembling! You have to insert it before snapping upper and lower part together!
  • Once all the screws are back in, you're basically done.

I hope this helps, if any of you ever runs into this problem!

Bye
Rapefruit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4482.jpg
Views:	1244
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	34398   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4483.jpg
Views:	1869
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	34399  

Last edited by Rapefruit; 08-17-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Made the donation a minute ago...
Rapefruit is offline   Reply With Quote