View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #405
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
As for "which apps" -- ALL apps. I've yet to find ONE that is on par with the iPad. Not saying one doesn't exist...just that of the apps I use, if they exist on Android at all (and most do), they are phone apps, not tablet apps.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Windows 8 tablets. While Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 share a lot of things in common, they're definitely not exactly the same so tablet apps ought to not feel like phone apps. Windows might be the only eco-system with a shot at actually supplanting iOS in both quality and quantity over time, at least on the tablet side.

And I know the original discussion was limited only to Android tablets and iPad apps, but if we're looking for a competing tablet app that beats the iPad, I think Microsoft Office for Windows 8 tablets has a shot. Got my Surface today, and was blown away by how full-featured Office is on the tablet. And this is just the preview edition of Office, the final full version is coming as a free downloadable update when it's ready.

Android has been tremendously successful on the phone side of things, but despite efforts by Google and Android licencees it seems to have struggled somewhat on the tablet side, this despite (with apologies to WebOS and the Playbook) it being the only serious competition to the iPad up until now. The entry of Windows 8 into the tablet space is more of a problem for Android than iOS, especially with Samsung, Acer, and most other prominent Android tablet makers also releasing Windows 8 tablets.

Last edited by scrapking; 11-01-2012 at 12:55 AM.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote