Thread: Remote X11?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
timb.us
Enthusiast
timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad 2
Remote X11?

Hey guys, first off I'd like to thank all of you for the hard work you put into this. As someone who's helped release Jailbreaks for the iPad and get custom firmware onto routers in the past, I know the amount of work that goes into these things and it's a great service you do for the community.

Okay, enough butt kissing, onto the questions!

I've got some embedded hardware here (right now a Raspberry Pi, will eventually replaced with an ARM device) that I'd like to capture an X session from.

Right now, with Xorg running on the Pi, I can simply SSH from my MacBook Air with the -X option (ssh -X pi@mypi.local), execute the command for an X app (midori) and it will pop up on the Air. I'd like to use my PaperWhite instead of the Air for this. Since it runs X, this should be possible, right?

I see Xorg running and I know it has to be restarted sans the -nowait tcp option.

Right now I've got my Kindle Jailbroken, have KUAL, usbnet and kterm installed. There doesn't seem to be a copy of the OpenSSH client installed, so I suppose I'll need that, unless someone has a better way of accomplishing the X forwarding?

I know VNC is an option, but I'd prefer to do it this way if possible for now.

Thanks guys!
timb.us is offline   Reply With Quote