View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #678
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi23 View Post
Hello,

I have a Kindle Touch and all partitions were erased (including the u-boot partition). I have attached a serial port cable to the kindle and i can successfully connect it with putty.

I have tryed to run MfgTool with Diag mode and i can see in putty that the boot process fails becouse The Board Id and S/N are blank.(this happens before loading u-boot, which doesn't exist anymore anyway)

I need to know how can i flash the partitions using the serial port when everything was wiped out from the kindle?

Thank you
You didn't erased U-Boot (because it's located in special "hidden" partition). <later EDIT> I was most possibly wrong. Now I know, that evil fastboot comand (eraseall) wipes even U-Boot (both of them: "primary" U-Boot and bist U-Boot) without asking for confirmation. </later EDIT>

Well, but you definitely did erased your Board Id. And U-Boot now doesn't know how to initialize RAM (as shown by log in your next post), so it couldn't proceed further.

I guess, one of the ways to recover system would be building of custom U-Boot (from Amazon sources) where selection of RAM initializing code will not depend on Board Id, but rather will be "hardwired".
Spoiler:
Then load it through USB downloader mode. Fastboot is included in U-Boot, so with fastboot you'll should be able to write rootfs back. Then load into that rootfs (again, you'll need custom U-Boot) and re-write Board Id and Serial # with idme tool.

Now, the bad part of my advice is that I will not made such the U-Boot available for you (i.e. I will not compile it for you). Sorry. It's also just a hypothetical way (I didn't tried it by myself), so it could fail in reality. But it shouldn't.

Oh, but there is an easier way U-Boot also provides command idme:
Code:
idme    - Set nv ram variables
idme <var> <value>
    - set a variable value
idme ?
    - print out known values
Available variables for setting values: serial, accel, mac, sec, pcbsn, bootmode, postmode. I guess, you should set serial and pcbsn.

Last edited by eureka; 12-22-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: new knowledge
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote