View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
A friend of mine suffers from "low vision" due to "Retinitis pigmentosa".
He can barely read a monitor and only if he so close that his nose actually touches the glass.

He still uses a CRT monitor because the side angle of LCD is always too low watching so close. He sees a small circle with text with borders rapidly fading to black.

I let him try my Kindle touch. The good part is that can read it well and that he enjoys font resizing. He loves it and he would like an e-ink monitor for PC.

However there are two main problems:
1) since he needs to stay so close the display is too dark (he shades the light with his head). An external light is annoying because it refletcs on his glasses.
2) he touches the display with his nose, thus randomly changing pages, and so on

The ideal for him would be a non-touch kindle with the paperwhite illuminated display.

Maybe a Kindle touch for handicapped people should let them choose from different layouts for turning pages. In the case of my friend the best would be to turn pages only sliding on the bottom of the screen.

Last edited by pirl8; 09-08-2012 at 07:43 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote