View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkookumPete View Post
JSWolf, I feel like the guy who is tinkering with his Ford in the driveway, and his neighbor comes over and says, "You shoulda bought a Chev," and expects to be thanked for the advice. It wasn't in any way my intention to point out "problems" with Kindle rendering. I just suggested ways in which e-book makers can make their text more distinctive and attractive by using the capabilities that are there.
Unfortunately, Mobipocket is doing some damage. It's holding back the potential of ePub as we get publishers not doing many things with ePub that won't convert well enough to Mobipocket. Basically, Amazon is causing eBooks to take giant steps backwards even though we have a forward stepping format. If Amazon dumped Mobipocket for ePub, we'd most likely get publishers doing things they aren't doing now and we'd get better looking eBooks then we do now.

Some of the best looking eBooks have been ones that I have seen hand crafted or I've made the changes and they then look better. I've seen too many ePub that do things that have a better way to be done with ePub. This is do to the fact that what could be done doesn't render as well in Mobipocket so the publisher takes the cheap shit way out to do it so they get the same or similar enough look on a Kindle.

Mobipocket has limits and moving to ePub would eliminate a lot of those limits.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote