View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #34
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Alright. "Suck it up", might be a bit harsh.

My perspective on this is that I had a choice. Buy the 1st generation Kobo or spend twice as much on a Kindle or Sony reader. I chose the Kobo, and I was completely aware that it was a brand new device, would undoubtedly have bugs and issues and at least some of the anticipated features were still vapourware.

And that was the trade-off. I saved a ton of money, and in turn I took on some risk. Anyone here could have avoided that risk by paying way more and purchasing a Kindle, which was a proven device with giant company behind it.

Simply in terms of that risk, hindsight shows it to have been a bad move, because Kindle and Sony slashed their prices within a couple of months. Which meant that I could have had the proven product at virtually the same price as I spent on the Kobo. And the Kobo price plummeted within a few months of that.

Personally, I'm not particularly upset. Yes, I would have liked to have seen the next version of the firmware about 3 months ago. Yes, it does feel like we're going to be the "forgotten generation". But I've still got that $150 I didn't spend on a Kindle in my wallet.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote