View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Markdown conversion: line spacing & lists

I'm getting a group of odd results with calibre's conversion of Markdown-formatted text files. Is this a bug worthy of filing, or do I just have something set wrong somewhere?

Here's a sample Markdown source file:

Code:
# This is a Markdown test

## List tests

1. This is item 1

2. This is item 2

Here's some text as a spacer.

1. This is item 1, with 2 spaces following it to scrunch the lines together  
2. This is item 2

More spacer text

* Here's a bullet point

* Another bullet point

Spacer text...

* Two spaces after this one  
* Another bullet point

## Linefeed tests

These lines should be  
close together but not joined.

These are three lines that
should
flow smoothly together.

Here's BBEdit 10's preview, which looks fine:

After doing a Txt --> Mobi conversion in calibre, this is what the Mobi viewer shows:

And here's what it looks like on the Kindle 3:

I see these problems:
  1. List items in the converted book get shifted down from their bullets/numbers (on Kindle only)
  2. Line spacing isn't being correctly controlled when 2 spaces are added at the end of the first of two sequential lines
  3. Sequential lines of text aren't being joined together the way Markdown syntax says they should (calibre viewer & Kindle)
  4. (Also, calibre's mobi viewer seems to be adding extra vertical spacing at the top of a list; not quite the same topic though)

Should I officially report these? Or report myself, for lack of knowing what I'm doing?

The images are duplicated below: BBEdit / calibre's mobi viewer / kindle screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot20111107at159.png
Views:	386
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	78779   Click image for larger version

Name:	calskit.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	78780   Click image for larger version

Name:	kinbigskitch.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	78781  

Last edited by Snorkledorf; 11-08-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote