View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #72
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I finally got out to Best Buy to see a Fire in person today.

First impression: Geeez it's small. For some reason I was just expecting something larger. It's really not much bigger than my Kindle 3, if even that.

I really liked the weight and feel of it, though that was distorted by the lock-down cable. I was surprised the way the bezel just sort of vanishes when you're using it for video and apps.

Overall display quality is excellent. The apps all seemed responsive and video was good with no lag. I was disappointed that the demo unit didn't allow actual web browsing. I also would have liked to have tried out Netflix and Youtube streaming.

I'm still not sure about it for reading though. I was pleased to discover that a simple tap on the right margin turns a page. I'd still prefer dedicated page turn buttons on the side, but as long as I don't actually have to obscure the words with a gesture or swipe or some other silliness to read, I guess I could live with it.

Overall I was impressed by the build quality and functionality. I'm leaning a bit more towards getting one to replace my Kindle 3, well see.
Actually according to its dimensions it's smaller in size than the K3 but thicker and way heavier.

You need only to move your thumb over the area to turn the page. One handed reading at it's finest.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote