View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
Question Nook Touch/Calibre/Questions

I have a Nook Classic .. I love it .. mostly .. my mom has an STR and I've had my eye on a Glow.

I was all set to get a Glow after Christmas, but my mom was over today with her STR and I played around with it a little ... I'm concerned about library management, which I see from the forums is an issue.

On my Classic, I use the shelves extensively. She also uses shelves, but I can't see that there is a way to see A. what shelf (s) a book is currently on and B. what books are NOT on a shelf at all. On my classic, I can see the unshelved books and in the "shelving" section, I can see what shelves an individual book is on.

It doesn't look like the STR can do that ... am I missing something? how do you know what books you haven't shelved?

Now, as near as I can tell, the library inadequacies are "solved" by using Calibre. With my Classic, I never saw the need to use anything other than Nook and ADE (for non BN books).

So, Calibre questions ... Do I need to "root" ... I'm not so interested in that ...
Will Calibre work with : B&N books (obviously, yes); secure eReader (I have a bunch of books from Fictionwise and I use ADE to sideload); ePub (from the library, I also use ADE to sideload)

Will I need to strip the DRM from the secure eReader or library ePub books? Again, not sure I want to ... (can you tell I'm not a big rule-breaker ?)

I think I can see that using Calibre requires me to download the B&N books and sideload them, but does that mean I would never really use the Wifi ... I wouldn't want B&N to automatically download a new book I had just sideloaded ....

A bunch of questions, I know ... as I said, I was all set until I saw the library on Mom's ... I do think that would bug me A LOT ... maybe if I started that way, but even mom is getting a bit frustrated with it ..
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote