View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
In the Samsung store in London the attendant showed me hand writing recognition so it should be built-in from the beginning. Now he is obviously trained to handle the equipment so I didn't take his claims at face value. I would imagine he has written the same sentence a few hundred times to impress prospective buyers, hence I wanted to know what a "real life experience" might be like. The demonstration was truly cool, but unless it translates into actual usefulness it is a moot point. I did like what you could do with screen capture and send as mail attachment or MMS.
Handwriting recognition doesn't work and probably never will. I have tried many major handwriting recognition systems, including vintage Apple Newton version, Penreader, MS Transcriber, WinXP tablet version, also the Samsung one built into Note. They seem to work for a while when tried in a shop, but in real life situations they are too error-prone. Handwriting should help me catch my thoughts (or somebody's elses thoughts). If frequent errors happen, you have to go back and correct badly recognized words, the whole thought-catching process is impeded and disturbed and this is precisely the problem with all the systems I tried.

What works is the old Palm Grafitti, which recognizes simplified letters (and I mean the original Grafitti, with no double-gesture letters). It is slower than regular handwriting, but at least I don't have to go back and correct words. Even if Grafitti makes a mistake, it is "typical", so I can easily recognize and correct the mistakes when I edit the text later.

As for the Samsung handwriting recognition, it is passable for English (English dictionary as the background technology) and unusable for other languages I tried.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote