View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #94
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by anappo View Post
> How will they know you removed the DRM from a book,
> if you're the only one that sees that book?

They are unlikely to be able to sue but they can suppress ability to remove DRM.

To remove the DRM, great majority of us will first need to find tools to do that. Not only is it illegal to remove DRM, it is illegal to write, distribute and in some places "discuss" tools for DRM removal - http://www.zeropaid.com/news/86758/f...ing-about-drm/

Maybe Dr. Drib the Moderator, can comment on this: when someone posts links to DRM removal tools on this here forum, how long on average will these links survive?
All it takes is Googling "remove <DRM_format> DRM" and you'll quickly find the links or information you need. And MobileRead (tacitly?) permits discussions of DRM removal so I don't think anyone would have much trouble learning to liberate their ebooks.

I can't foresee a time when the authorities/publishers have the means or interest in punishing individuals who remove DRM for personal use, so DRM is a bit of a non-issue for me these days.

Back on-topic: I think it is marvellous news that Sony will be selling ePub and I will surely be buying from them once again (even if I have to jump through hoops to get around geographic restrictions). Not long ago I thought ePub would never go anywhere but this news changes everything. It wont be long until ePub support is standard on nearly all e-ink devices and that will make the Sony eBook Store a major competitor to Amazon.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote