View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #41
ACGT
ACGT began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
ACGT: I don't trust too much this kind of store. However, it won't hurt to have a look.

I don't either. I took the risk as I couldn't justify paying the full price for a new toy while 1) my old reader still fully functional after about 3 years except that the mechanic button is a little less responsive now 2) these devices have built-in obsolescence 3) I predict the regular on-sale price won't go (much) lower than 120$ within 6 months. I made a mistake in my last response. The Touch was 50% off after TWO years of release not ONE. I wouldn't buy a device after more than one year of release no matter how good the price is.
I went to that TechSource store on 1012 Gerrard, Toronto and bought a black Aura HD for $120. The box looks sealed, I opened the device and saw that the screen seems perfectly operational. The store owner said he is OK to honor the warranty exchange but not "too long, like 3 months" after purchase. The receipt looks vague (item listed as eBook Reader, Manufacturer warranty). He said that it's the serial number on the box sticker and in the device which server as manufacturer warranty, not the store receipt. I have no idea what is the impact but I hope I will not have to deal with warranty.

Setup went OK, the device selt updates twice, currently version 2.10.0 2013-10-21.

The screen is really good. Now I understand why people prefer eInk for reading. I loaded some ePub and PDF for testing. They all works OK.
Although the PDF reading is rather inconvenient, page turn too slow, no bookmarks (fast access via the Table of contents), the zoom and page scroll is sluggish. Overall, I still prefer to read a PDF on the 4.7" screen of my Android phone. I will try to load Koreader on the Aura HD to see if this could improve the PDF reading.
ACGT is offline   Reply With Quote