View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
my thoughts entirely..if pixel qi and/or mirasol perform well, then its time to do away with the snail-paced eink!!
I think a lot of factors are going to determine whether or not pixel qi or mirasol either replace e-ink or stake out a middle ground between e-ink and traditional LCD displays.

The two biggest issues are cost and power consumption. With e-ink based readers now commonly available for less than $150, the alternatives, regardless of their advantages, will have to get near that price if they are going to replace e-Ink.

Likewise, while certainly more efficient than traditional LCD's, will either display be able to match how thrifty eInk is? I had a Jetbook, the reflective LCD was very thrifty for what it was, but I still had to recharge it every 5 days or so when the battery was new; every other day when it was two years old. Meanwhile, the PRS-505 I inherited from the wife, after a year of use still provides more than 2 weeks of reading per charge.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote