View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #33
AZed
Connoisseur
AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PalmOS PDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This was my work machine and we have standardized on Debian stable. And I want to avoid having to install an extra Perl installation but of course it is easy to install 5.10 if you need it. My unstable laptop at home had 5.10 (but was that no a recent change?). I have to read about the smart operators to see if I want to use them myself. I have been bad at keeping up with new versions of Perl.
If there's not a really great need for me to make everything compatible with Perl 5.8, I'd really rather not (and I can't go back any earlier than that at all because proper Unicode support didn't show up until 5.8). If you and nrapallo decide that you really want to stick with 5.8, however (or if I start getting feedback that 5.10 is a major nuisance to get installed for people that want to use this), I do know what I'd technically need to do to yank the 5.10-specific code.

You might also find the following guides to the new 5.10 features informative:

Smart-Match
Defined-Or
5.10 Regular Expressions
Given/When (Switch)
All 5.10 changes

The big things to me were the smart-match, named regular expression, and speed improvements.
AZed is offline   Reply With Quote