View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
It's amazing the number of people who have gone completely electronic. Yes, a large number of people are still buying pbooks, but I believe the market of people who have gone completely electronic is larger. Not larger in numbers, but larger in the number of books they buy and read, and larger in disposable income. I think this stance of "No, you can't have our book" making me want it more is ridiculous. I now buy or borrow books based on what the library has in stock, and what new books I see on TV. Picked up a couple political books recently - one was under $12, but one was over, and I decided to wait and see if it comes down. But that isn't any different than pbooks.

I used to buy several hundred $$ of pblooks a year; I don't buy that many ebooks, because I just can't find ebooks I want to read that are priced at a level that I consider value for what they bring. For example, I bought a pbook of No Easy Day. When I finished reading it, I gave it to my husband. He gave it to his sister. I bet that book will get 10 readings before it goes to a library book sale. The Unwinding, which I bought as an ebook, will probably be read by me and my husband only. I have liberated the book, but I don't feel comfortable sending it outside our family. That makes each reading of No Easy Day $1.89, and each reading of The Unwinding at $5.98
If I could have passed The Unwinding around like I pass around pbooks, I would be willing to pay the same price.

To a great extent, I think that what you say is true. I've switched completely over to ebooks and I'm one of those readers who buys a lot of books (in excess of 100 books so far this year). If they didn't make it so blamed hard to discover when older books become available in ebooks, I would probably buy even more.

Personally, I see the value of the book in the content of the book, not the format, so I have no problem paying the going market price for ebooks. My buying habits for ebooks is pretty close to what my buying habits for dead tree books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote