View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #109
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Hi,

repods, your comments sound as excuses.

yes, we don't have access to UDS sources, but we can improve many things to make the DR a better device.

I'm not a programmer myself, it's only a hobby for me. And with my second child now I don't have much time nowdays... but I really thank IREX for providing the sources and SDK to allow anyone to improve their products (and that's in fact one of the reasons why I bought an iLiad and then a DR800).

Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post
I personally don't like very much to use custom made firmware ( being a programmer myself) cause I usually see a lot of thing that I don't like if I read the code.. on the other hand I have not the time or the will to write something myself (well honestly I wrote something for my dr..); usually the user made enahncements lacks always in something, even simply by the design side..
In my experience, sometimes external code is better than official one.
I'm talking in general, not about DR here, look at RockBox for example, but there are lots of examples.

Quote:
so I like to use the official upgrades, that usually should really fix problems being done by people that have a full knowledge of the device. And consider that full knowledge is different from public knowledge.. a lot of things could be not public
... and sometimes external people, *the real users* know more about how a feature could be used... and if this people can write code, they develop those features... creating a better device.
Perhaphs the code is not brilliant, but the "new version" of the product is.
(and as I've said before, sometimes, the new code is better).

Quote:
so essentialy I don't want to waste even more time following their unlucky and unfair business and I'm going to buy another device..
This is your decision, not ours.

But, think that if you have the knowledgement, you can do lot of things...
you can contribute: code, design, ideas, suggestions... there are many places to help, as Mackx has already mentioned.

That's the difference between consumers and *real* users.

Ok, don't want to do more cheap philosophy.
Finally, I recommend this book if you want to understand this feeling:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hackers-Hero...0193269&sr=1-1

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote