View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 02:22 AM   #17502
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I finally picked my next indie read. This is one of our own, Mel Comley, and her first Lorne Simpkins book, Cruel Justice. I have a few of her books, but have never got around to reading any. Of course, that typifies 80% of my eLibrary, but be that as it may, it's now her turn.
I'm rather sorry to say that I intensely disliked this book. I think the only significant compliment I can think of, having just read the final page, was that it was well copy-edited. It was (in my reading) error free. That's always a good thing.

It seems to be an odd mix of romance and police procedural but completely failing in both aspects. As a procedural it failed mainly because the main character followed absolutely no procedure. She was a bundle of reactions, gut feelings and snap judgements. It seemed so bizarre to me that I started coming to the conclusion that this was perhaps a romance with a crime mystery background.

However, it really didn't work as a romance either. There was really nothing in the main character that generated any sort of sympathy. I'm not a romance reader, but I'm assuming that's a fairly important aspect. And although a significant portion of the novel seemed invested in her struggle with her marriage, her emotional turmoil over the handsome pathologist with a sexy French accent and even her romantic past with another character which comes into the story, I can't imagine any of it resolving enough to satisfy a romance reader.

The book has a large number of 5 star reviews on Amazon which at least shows that people out there like it, but I'm definitely not one of them.

OK - now I'm moving on to The Anubis Gates. I've had this on my bookshelf for a couple of years now and it's been recommended to me several times, so I thought I'd finally find the time to read it. Feel free to chime in and tell me how much I'm going to love it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote