View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 04:58 AM   #5
Cgray
Cgray began at the beginning.

Device: none
Holy hell. This thing is, IMO, borderline actionable in a legal sense. Functions promised on the package which not only don't work, but evidently *don't exist*. I got one for Christmas, and am going to be returning it. If I can't return it, I'll probably just throw it away. It's left that much of a bad taste in my mouth to the point where I'm seriously considering just sticking with dead tree and ignoring the ebook end of things unless I can read them on my desktop computer.

It's that bad.

So some questions.

1. has anyone-- *anyone* successfully loaded a pdf on it? I've done everyting the cheery manual says and no go. If someone can tell me how to do that, hopefully before monday, I might be tempted to keep it. Might.

Also, avoid the "Reset to factory defaults." Yes, it gets rid of your books. It also destroys the file structure and leaves the storage space unformatted, requiring you to reformat it using your desktop computer-- and I have no idea if that format works with the literati books, since, oh right, I haven't been able to LOAD any. (well, they're loaded, as far as the browser on my computer is concered, but not as far as the literati is concerned).

It crashes, freezes, on a fairly random basis.

I can safely say, having updated to the newest firmware, that this product is an utter dog. It is useless for anything other than the most basic ereading of what comes from the Kobo store. A nice color screen is no good, if it doesn't work-- sort of like the raciest looking car in the world is a lawn sculpture if you don't bother, I dunno, to install a working engine.
Cgray is offline   Reply With Quote