Thread: Sigil 0.1.1
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
You know, linux development is hard. Really hard. Not so much because of the software, but because of the users .
They're just getting warmed up. Wait till people running slightly unusual/older distros have problems. About 10-13% of calibre users are linux based, yet the number of complaints I get from linux users is a far higher percentage of the total.

Then periodically someone will write to me that they don't like Qt, could I please make a GTK based interface. Or that they don't like X, could I please rewrite everything to not depend on it. Or that a calibre package doesn't exist for their favorite obscure distro Y, could I please take the trouble to create one for it. Then there'll be complaints from smart asses convinced that they know more than you do and you could do no better than listen to them.

And since you've written Sigil in Qt you'll eventually start getting complaints from OS X people along the lines of, this doesn't look like other OS X apps, please rewrite the GUI specially for me.

In comparison I have to say that windows users are the most mature of the lot. The worst problems I get on windows are when some stupid AV program or the other prevents calibre from working on a users machine.

Certainly developing for linux users can be fun On the plus side, most serious code contributors to your project are likely to be running linux.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote