View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Joan M - sorry I went AWOL, blame the weather. Couple of weeks ago we were on fire alert at 120°F in the shade and now we have floods at 75°F :sigh:

IMO one I/O error does not justify rushing out to buy a replacement disk.

If you want to get an indication of the health of your 'Books' disk, you need to get its performance statistics, but these give no guarantee that a GOOD drive won't fail tomorrow or a BAD drive won't work for another 5 years.

Given your on XP and its a USB drive you'll need a 3rd Party tool to look at the drive performance statistics. One that should work on XP and USB drives is the one in How To See if your hard drive is dying

I suggest you you download the PORTABLE version of the CrystalInfo utility thats 'recommended' in the How To... - if in doubt here is a direct link http://release.crystaldew.info/redir...rystalDiskInfo

Make sure all your drives are powered up. Unzip into a folder and run DiskInfo.exe - it will show a row of icons at the top - Blue for Good, Yellow for Caution and Red for Bad.

Let us know what results you get.

Have you backed up the calibre library folder - ie E:\Ebooks\CalibreBooks ?

I'm going to be dealing with 'after the flood' consequences for a while. So I think it would best if you followed the 2 step process suggested by Itimpi and DoctorOoh.

Maybe one of them can jump in and give you some detailed guidance.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-29-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote