View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #606
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I did not write: "Do not back it up."
I wrote: "Do not copy it like you do the others."
That is:
You do not want to do a copy like: dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p4 of=/mnt/us/ ..something..
Hints:
/dev/mmcblk0p4 is a storage media DEVICE.
/mnt/us is a storage media FILE SYSTEM.
Question:
What DEVICE is the backing storage media for this FILE SYSTEM?
If the storage DEVICE was a floppy disk drive ;
If the FILE SYSTEM was a FAT32 file system recorded on that floppy disk ;
Would there be room to copy the contents of the DEVICE into that FILE SYSTEM?
Ans: No.
The device layout is like:
Code:
| MBR | Partition table | File Directory | File storage space |
| Device data |
You can't copy all four parts into just one of those parts.
I.E: The whole can not be copied into only a part of the same whole.
Not my rule, just a physical reality.
/mnt/us viewed from within the Kindle's operating system (which is what you are doing within PuTTY)
And the root of the user storage area as seen over the USB cable when plugged into your computer is one and the same thing.
Back it up by copying it over the USB cable with the Kindle in USB storage device mode.
Ah. Thanks. I thought there was some unknown rule about backing up the userstore, becuase i used k3flasher to backup my kindle, and saw the "we do not backup the userstore" message.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote